Pumpkins, Pumpkins, Everywhere …
Earlier this year, my son and I raked down a part of a hill on our property, clearing the area and tilling the soil. Then we planted a little packet of seeds. I wasn’t sure what to expect. I am really not one to attempt to grow from seed. And pumpkins? The last time I attempted that nothing happened. At all.
So, when the leaves began to appear a few weeks later, I was psyched, but cautious. Now, months later, those small leaves have grown into large, long vines that creep across our lawn. And near the ends of the vines? Pumpkins. About six of them. I was in shock when I saw the first one. And now, there are so many and they are so big … it’s amazing to watch. The plants seem to grow by leaps and bounds nightly.
But watching pumpkins grow isn’t the only wonderful thing that comes from these lovely orange globes. There is something awesome about cooking with a puree of pumpkin. It adds a warmth and richness to so many dishes – both sweet and savory. Don’t worry if you don’t want to roast your own pumpkin. Canned puree is inexpensive and perfect for recipes.
Here are some of the awesome pumpkin recipes from around the web:
- Pumpkin Pancakes at Sarah’s Cucina Bella
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes at Sarah’s Cucina Bella
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Dreamy Cream Cheese Frosting at Sarah’s Cucina Bella
- Iced Pumpkin Cookies at Sarah’s Cucina Bella
- Pumpkin Coconut Muffins at Sarah’s Cucina Bella
- Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes at Pinch My Salt
- Chiffon Pumpkin Pie at Simply Recipes
- Pumpkin Ravioli with Sage Butter at Whistlestop Cafe