Ready for Some Summer Comfort Food?
When I think of traditional comfort food I think of biscuits smothered in gravy, fried chicken and cake. I think that’s the southern girl in me. But in the summer I don’t want to spend all day in a hot kitchen cooking those meals and I don’t want to run to fast food when we are on the go all day. I need a few healthy (or at least a little healthier) alternatives and ones that won’t keep me tied to the house. We are a family on the go just like you! I’ve compiled a list of what I would substitute for comfort in the summer.
1. Smoothies are at the top of the list. Whether you make your own with fresh fruit or use a prepared mix these are a healthier option than the milk shakes I grew up with.
2. Salad greens with feta cheese and bacon. Nothing says comfort like bacon and you can spruce up a salad like cool, creamy feta cheese and crisp bacon crumbled.
3. No bake cookies. We all need a sweet treat! Look for options that don’t require you to be in the kitchen for hours. Chocolate Balls and many Oatmeal Cookie varieties may require only a saucepan.
4. Grilled Hot Dogs and Hamburgers. Nothing says comfort like good American foods and you’ll get outdoors while enjoying the smell of the grill. Skip the fries and substitute some grilled veggies!
5. Crockpot Anything. Put your favorite casserole ingredients in the slow cooker, hit the pool and dinner is done when you get home. use my slow cooker all summer long because it is so much easier for families on the go. Then I can add a simple side dish like salad or fruit and I have an easy meal any day of the week.
What does comfort food mean to you and how are you stay cool in the kitchen this summer?